How To Make Edibles From Rosin Chips
If you have a rosin press, we’re willing to bet that you’ve noticed what every press leaves behind. The pressed material called rosin chips may seem like something you should throw away. If you’re about to -- stop!
Valuable oils are still in that chip, all of which you can easily recover. You can use those rosin chips to make edibles.
The good news is that the process is quite simple. In this post, we’re going to show you how to make edibles out of your rosin chips. As a bonus, we’ll even throw a few recipes your way at the end.
But first, let’s back up a minute and give you a quick breakdown of rosin chips and what they are.
What are Rosin Chips and How are They Made?
Rosin chips, sometimes called rosin pucks, are a byproduct of pressing cannabis into rosin.
To make cannabis flower rosin, you first squeeze dried cannabis flowers into a puck, sandwiched between parchment paper. Place the puck into your rosin press and squeeze the heated plates together. This combination of pressure and heat melts the flower into the rosin. The THC within the plant material is a concentrated solvent-less wax, separating itself from the plant due to the combination of heat and pressure.
This process creates the ring of rosin wax that surrounds the rosin chip. This ring is where most of the active compounds resides. However, even the very best rosin presses don’t get all of the rosin out. There is still plenty leftover in that rosin chip worth saving.
And you know what those chips are good for? You guessed it — making edibles.
How to Make Cannaoil From Rosin Chips
Thankfully, it’s quite easy to make edibles with rosin chips. The process is pretty much the same as making edibles with the tried and true cannabis flower. Making a cannaoil or “hash butter” is required prior to any proper baking. To do this, you will need to:
- Crumble up the rosin chips.
- Put the rosin chip crumbles in an oven safe dish and cover it.
- Heat for 20 minutes at 250°F to decarboxylate the rosin and activate the THC.
- Melt coconut oil in a pan and remove the white foam with a spoon on top.
- Add the rosin chips and coconut oil to a small blender and blend everything together
- Add everything to an oven safe dish and bake at 250°F for 2 hours
- Strain the oil to remove the rosin chips using a cheesecloth or mesh strainer
- Add the cannaoil to a mason jar or storage container and throw away the leftovers (or add it to your compost!)
A few additional tips here…
- In general, the more chips you have/use, the more therapeutic effects your oil will produce, however we generally recommend a ratio of 1-2 cups of coconut oil per ounce of rosin chips. You can adjust the proportions as you see fit to be more or less potent.
- Don’t use a grinder to turn your rosin chips into crumbs. It will make it more difficult to strain and also introduce chlorophyll and give your oil and strong plant taste.
- Make sure you test the potency of your oil before you add it to any recipes.
As promised, we also have a few recipes you can follow to make CannaButter, eJuice, and brownies with your rosin chip cannaoil. Of course, the best way to make rosin chips is to use a Ju1ceBox Rosin Press. Order yours today!
Start Pressing Rosin And Making Edibles
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device